Saturday, March 1, 2008

Greetings from Jos

From Bob Scanlon:

Greetings from Jos, Nigeria.

It has been quite a week. The array of tasks we have accomplished is a cause of joy.

The educational component with the family Medicine Residents and nurse midwives has been successful. The feedback we are receiving when we review indicates that the material is being received and processed. It will be up to them to apply it in the care of their patients.

I was privileged to perform a cesarean section on a mother who was scheduled for one and consented to allow me to operate for the purpose of resident physician education. We delivered a healthy baby boy and both mother and child are doing well. Interesting, the boy’s middle name is Bob, unusual name here in Nigeria!

Finally, our AIM program that is designed to pay for the care of the poor is fantastic. I was able to meet many of the infants and mothers who have benefited from the program. They were all so grateful. The program will certainly continue to grow as the hospital draws the poor; you see they trust that the Catholic sisters will not send them away. AIM will allow Our Lady of the Apostles Hospital to continue this mission without going bankrupt.

As much as I love this work, I miss my family terribly and look forward to coming home. However, with the contacts that have been nurtured and the aid of technology we can continue to aid infants and mothers by supporting our Nigerian colleagues even when we are not physically present with them.

More to come… Bob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

George, Bob and Ray,

Congractulations and big thank you for your visit, and generosity to humanity!!!! Everyone in Jos are so excited about your visit, and from the information I can gather, it has been a great learning experience from student midwifes, nurses, to the Resident Doctors..

I heard the hospital was busy as usual, so the residents could share in clinical experience, both in wards/clinics and the theatre..I also learnt you went to one of the outstations, and the school boys were thrilled with the soccer ball, and that the communication equipment worked quite well....great great happenings.

I am sure you are all abreast of the situation having be part of the care for one week.

I do hope you all have a pleasant trip back home, and best regards to all the members of your family.

I guess we all need to work harder now, and keep the tempo going, I am sure God's grace is not lacking and we will achieve this noble dream in a short while if we all keep the faith.

Best Regards

Victor Koledoye MD
Singapore